Program Operations & Grants Administrator
GAIA is a worldwide alliance of grassroots organisations and national alliances in over 90 countries working for justice and a world without waste. We see waste, plastics, and their resulting pollution as a symptom of a larger, profit-driven extractive economy, and we promote zero waste as a holistic solution that supports an economic shift toward justice and sustainability.
GAIA’s U.S. office is looking for a Program Operations & Grants Administrator to provide key network infrastructure, member and operational support, and manage fund distribution for GAIA’s global programs. This new post responds to the needs of our growing organization, and we have many programs which continuously require operational support over time. A top priority for this position is supporting GAIA’s grantmaking and action fund programs for grassroots groups. GAIA’s U.S. office distributes approximately $1.3 million to dozens of grassroots organizations each year and supports significant additional grantmaking by our teams in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. These include grants and contracts that support local organizing, policy work, zero waste implementation, recovery and relief programs, as well as translation of informational resources and other initiatives around the world. This is a new post with primary focus in 2021-2022 on developing and maintaining organization-wide systems for action funds management, subgrants, and translations. The focus of the post may shift in the future as operational support needs change for global programs; for example, as travel restrictions are lifted, this role could entail more travel and event coordination. GAIA is a network focused on supporting a grassroots movement, and the person in this position will play a visible and supportive role with member organizations around the world. They will be part of a growing 4-person operations & finance team with an outstanding financial management track record. They will have the opportunity to engage directly with grassroots groups around the world and will gather stories to share with key stakeholders and high profile observers of GAIA’s work. As part of the operations/finance team, they will keep relevant documentation, databases, and other tracking systems running smoothly, and they will coordinate timely funds transfers with admin/finance coworkers.
Manage funds and subgrants (Action/Micro/Support/Relief)
- Develop overall organizational system for funds, transition the organization from the current program-by-program approach
- Work with program leads to set up each fund, including clear criteria, application forms and announcements, decision making processes with program-related review teams
- Act as primary contact for members, including collection of required documentation before fund distributions and ensure final reporting requirements are met
- Coordinate timely funds transfers with admin/finance coworkers
- Maintain database and files for all action fund distributions,
- Develop summaries for each fund program to measure impact, inform program teams, and otherwise assist with reporting to donors regarding funds
- Analyze data and produce annual report on funds distribution
- Improve overall systems for larger subgrants to members, including subgrants calendar and coordination with relevant programs distributing larger subgrants
- Collect all documents, reports, internal grant approval processes, and maintain these files
- Coordinate timely funds transfers with admin/finance coworkers
- Follow timelines closely and work with multiple teams and members on different program funds simultaneously
- Work with program leads at start of fiscal year to calendar and plan for funds and subgrants, reassess at mid-year marks and support responsive funds delivery as needed
Provide operations support
- Support for events, including hosting webinars & online gatherings
- Ticket purchasing & other travel and event coordination for global programs – in the future, as travel picks back up
- Provide IT support and e-security system maintenance
- Support the evaluation and improvement of internal systems
- Coordinate with GAIA U.S. operations/financial team and the larger GAIA global support team
- Develop a translation system to facilitate translation of publications into multiple languages.
- Cultivate a pool of translators, collect and maintain files with relevant financial paperwork, contracts, etc, and coordinate timely payment with admin/finance coworkers
- develop a simple process with program leads to identify priority publications for translation, and project manage the timing of translations when necessary.
- Two (2) years of progressive experience in program administration or support
- Success at developing or improving financial and/or administrative systems
- Experience managing and maintaining databases and other online information systems
- High level of attention to detail, with excellent administrative and organizational skills; ability to keep documentation tidy and accessible
- Ability to problem-solve, take initiative, and maintain efficiency in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to coordinate complex projects or multiple simultaneous tasks efficiently and across time zones around the world (tracking, calendaring, reporting, record-keeping, team coordination)
- Sound judgment, integrity, and ethics. Ability to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner. Must be able to tailor appropriate information sharing to relevant audiences given complexity of work with multiple stakeholders
- Spanish language proficiency
- Experience with fund and grant accounting, reporting, and compliance
- Travel & events coordination experience
- Proficient IT knowledge (experience & ability to enhance tech systems)
- Outreach experience (to different constituencies, communities)
- Budget management experience
- Data-analysis and impact evaluation skills
- Contractor management experience
- Experience working with international and/or cross cultural teams, or working/studying abroad
- Multilingual beyond Spanish-English
Location: This position will begin remotely, while the office is closed due to COVID-19 (likely through mid-2021 and perhaps beyond); and will eventually transition to an in-person position based out of the Berkeley, CA location once the office is re-opened.
How to apply: Interested candidates should email cover letter, current resume, and list of three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line “Program Operations & Grants Administrator – (YOUR NAME)”. Position open until filled; first round of applications will be reviewed beginning April 23rd. GAIA is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or other status protected by applicable law. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Salary range is $60,000-$70,000 FTE, dependent upon experience. Benefits are competitive for a mid-sized social and environmental justice group based in the San Francisco Bay Area.