Global Digital Communications Associate
(based in Asia Pacific, remote work)
Global Digital Communications Associate
GAIA is a global network working towards a just and zero waste world without incineration. GAIA aims to power a transition away from our current linear and extractive economy and towards a circular system that supports people’s right to a safe and healthy environment. This entails fighting pollution and building regenerative solutions in cities through local campaigns, shifts in policy and finance, research and communication initiatives, and movement building. We work on four primary points of intervention: incineration, zero waste, plastic, and climate.
GAIA’s global communications team aims to change the narrative about GAIA’s core work areas by mainstreaming zero waste, debunking myths about incineration, and raising the visibility of the network and our members. Our digital communications goals include growing our audience base and building recognition among core target audiences in order to maximize program impact and amplify members’ work. The Global Digital Communications Associate will be responsible for developing and implementing digital media campaign strategies for cross-regional and global projects, building and maintaining audience and engagement in GAIA’s global digital communications platforms, and coordinate a small number of shared global and cross-regional projects. GAIA’s regional teams each include communications staff who coordinate regional communications campaigns and priorities, and the person in this position will also digitally amplify these regional communications efforts.
This is a new global communications position. Global communications staff work closely with regional comms leads and global program teams. The line manager for this position will be the Deputy Director in the GAIA Philippines organization, and workflow will be managed by the Global Communications Lead.
This is an exciting opportunity for a skilled digital media strategist to bring leadership and innovation to a strong and diverse global network deeply connected to environmental justice, social justice, climate action, preventing plastic pollution, and more.
GAIA Philippines is the hub of the global network’s Asia Pacific regional work. It is based in Quezon City, Manila. It currently hosts around 20 dynamic staff in the region both on remote and office work, depending on different work context.
Design, co-create and implement digital media strategies for global campaigns and projects
- Coordinate with global project teams and global work groups to develop and implement digital media plans for global communications projects and priorities
- Craft beautifully curated digital toolkits. Ensure that these materials are coordinated properly with relevant stakeholders
- Set benchmarks for project metrics and chart pathway for our digital media growth and engagement indicators
- Perform regular social media monitoring and analysis and advise the GAIA Communications team on relevant hooks and angles for content.
- Generate digital media metrics and analysis around global communications projects and key moments.
Build & Maintain Audience and Engagement on GAIA’s social media channels and website
- Developing an audience analysis to ascertain how best to engage with our target audiences online
- Co-develop and implement communication strategies and plans for GAIA’s global social media channels Facebook, Twitter and develop global Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube
- Produce effective and high-impact online content including digital campaign materials (e.g. memes, infographics, GIFs, etc.), ensuring these are aligned with agreed communications strategies and internal brand guidelines
- Coordinate with regional comms staff to amplify regional campaigns and priorities
- Curate content during rapid-response activities linking our messages to what is happening in the external world.
- Disseminate GAIA priority topline communications messaging for a wider audience on social media while ensuring that communications on different social media channels reflect platform-specific strategies.
- Track and Report on success rate of GAIA’s postings on social media (engagement rates, traffic, click-through rates, etc.) and set up appropriate tracking systems.
- Reply to inquiries, comments and replies on all social media accounts in a timely manner. Where possible engage in ongoing discussions and debates to amplify network narratives.
- Lead user strategy and analysis of GAIA’s website, including work with the Communications Team and Web Administrator to set up and monitor analytics data about the website and between the website and social platforms; At regular intervals, evaluate and improve SEO for websites implementing keyword strategies into GAIA’s content (regular content administration and design of the website is led by another staff person).
- Troubleshoot technical issues with digital media services, like google analytics.
Lead overall communications strategy and project coordination for at least one global work area
- Plan and coordinate overall communications strategy and project management (as needed) for at least one global work area, based on needs and strategies developed with program teams and other coworkers. This will include working with regional and global communications coworkers to contribute their own skills in order to implement a range of communications strategies such as earned media, member tools development, videos, other elements in addition to digital communications.
- As described above, this person will also contribute digital media strategy and implementation for the other global work area communications projects, which will be coordinated by coworkers.
Contribute as part of a global team based in a regional office
- Demonstrated strong writing and communication skills in English
- At least three (3) to five (5) years of experience in developing and implementing digital communication strategies in a national or regional level
- Ability to work from home during the pandemic (space, internet access, etc.)
- A strong understanding of and experience working within the digital landscape, including digital campaigning, online organising, activism, data and metrics analysis.
- Demonstrated capacity for issue and audience analysis, ability to identify audiences preferences, trends and develop communication strategies and tactics from the results of social media engagement
- Strong presentation and persuasion skills including advanced skills in communicating complex issues to the public
- Project management experience in the field of communications
- Highly computer literate, and tech savvy – experienced with new media technologies and social media engagement and management tools (like Hootsuite);
- Passion for social and environmental justice, and a commitment to implement communications strategies that support and create a space for communities to speak for themselves;
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness to work effectively with people from different backgrounds in different parts of the world.
- Willingness to travel as required, and flexibility in working with international staff, including regular work outside of normal office hours.
- Ability to speak or write in English and in another language.
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of communications or journalism or a related field.
- Experience in capacity-building, training and developing materials
- Experience working in remote/ distance based teams
- Experience working in networks, people’s movements, or NGOs.
- Experience with grassroots organizing
Location, Compensation, and Work Environment
This is a full-time position, equivalent to 5 days a week, for an initial commitment of 1 year. This position is open to individuals based in the Asia Pacific region, and location is dependent on where the successful candidate resides.
We offer a competitive salary plus benefits, including healthcare package, paid vacation and sick leaves, and other similar employment protections. We take pride in our ability to support one another’s work in an atmosphere of mutual trust, transparency, and respect, and look forward to introducing the successful candidate to our welcoming and highly motivated team and members.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
We are committed to equal employment opportunity principles and to provide all employees with a safe work environment free from discrimination and harassment. We welcome you regardless of your gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, faith, age, physical ability, or any other status unrelated to the performance of the job. People from historically marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Global Digital Communications Associate – (YOUR NAME)”. APPLICATIONS WITH INCOMPLETE DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
- Updated resume and cover letter with your salary requirements;
- 2-3 references (IMPORTANT: 2 of your references must be your immediate supervisor or manager, or colleagues who worked closely with you in recent programs/projects/campaigns);
- At least 2 links to programs/projects you led or spearheaded.
No calls, please. The position is open until filled; first round of applications will be reviewed beginning July 5, 2021, but consider applying ASAP.