Event Coordinator for Urban Movement Innovation Fund
The recently formed Urban Movement Innovation Fund (UMI) is an exciting new philanthropic initiative that will foster the participation of a broad set of civil society groups in climate movements around the world. Entering into its next phase of development, UMI has identified a clear need for ongoing coordination and discussion between its fund partners, focusing both on how to expand impact in cities and how to work together on a few key national and international high impact opportunities. To achieve this, UMI will be organizing a series of events around the world that bring together climate leaders and activists to discuss key issues, coordinate strategies, increase movement connectivity, and develop collaborative projects.
UMI is seeking an experienced Event Coordinator to curate and assist in planning these meetings, likely at least four per year. The Event Coordinator will oversee all aspects of event planning and management, including corresponding with meeting participants, arranging travel and accommodation, preparing reimbursements, and attending and providing support during each meeting. A successful candidate will have international travel and event planning experience, be extremely organized with the ability to multitask, and be able to work independently and communicate cross-culturally. Additional language proficiency, though not required, is a plus.
This position is being hosted by GAIA, located in Berkeley, California. GAIA is a network grounded in the principles of environmental justice and impacted community leadership and includes organizations, alliances, and coalitions around the world that are fighting incinerators, advocating for zero waste, and pushing for environmental and climate justice through policy and local implementation programs.
- Maintaining a working relationship with meeting participants, vendors, and the international UMI team
- Understanding and negotiating the complex needs of different events and diverse participants in countries around the world
- Planning event aspects including travel, visa, accommodation, inclusivity & accessibility, zero waste & climate-friendly dining/catering, meeting venue reservations, ensuring technology and equipment and maintaining collaborative guest list
- Collaborating with both UMI & GAIA staff to book event speakers and facilitators
- Attended to organizational values and protocols while staying within the budget
- Managing and overseeing events in person, including welcoming participants, directing event set-up, communicating with staff, organizing vendors, problem-solving, and managing take-down
- Anticipating and planning for possible different scenarios
- Collecting receipts from participants and preparing reimbursement requests to be processed by the bookkeeper
- Strong communication skills and the ability to present event ideas
- Relevant & applied experience with at least 3+ years of demonstrable event planning
- Certificate or degree in event planning
- Experience organizing internationally-focused events and meetings including travel/accommodation/dining arrangements
- Team management experience
- Willingness to travel internationally (minimum of eight times per year)
- Experience working effectively on multiple projects simultaneously, setting priorities, organizing time, and identifying resources for projects as needed.
- Ability to problem-solve, take initiative, and maintain efficiency in rapidly changing, dynamic situations
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
LOCATION, COMPENSATION, AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- This position will be based out of GAIA’s main office in Berkeley, California. We offer a competitive salary plus benefits, including health insurance, vacation, maternity/paternity leave, and other similar employment protections. We take pride in our ability to support one another’s work in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, and look forward to introducing the successful candidate to our welcoming and highly motivated team and members.
- We are seeking candidates who are excited to make an initial commitment of at least two years to this work. Starting annual salary range of $68,500 to $72,500.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
GAIA is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, gender non-conforming, and LGBTQ persons to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “UMI Event Coordinator.” No calls, please. References will be requested from successful candidates later in the process. This position will be open until filled. Applications will be considered as received, with a priority deadline of January 17, 2020.