Africa Administrative Assistant
GAIA is a worldwide network of grassroots organisations and national alliances in over 90 countries working for justice and a world without waste. We see waste, plastics, and their resulting pollution as a symptom of a larger, profit-driven extractive economy, and we promote zero waste as a holistic solution that supports an economic shift toward justice and sustainability. 47 organisations are GAIA members in Africa, from 21 countries.
The #breakfreefromplastic (BFFP) Movement is a global movement envisioning a future free from plastic pollution. Since its launch in 2016, more than 11,000 organisations and individual supporters from across the world have joined the movement to demand massive reductions in single-use plastics and to push for lasting solutions to the plastic pollution crisis. BFFP member organisations and individuals share the common values of environmental protection and social justice, and work together through a holistic approach in order to bring about systemic change under the #breakfreefromplastic core pillars. This means tackling plastic pollution across the whole plastics value chain – from extraction to disposal – focusing on prevention rather than cure and providing effective solutions.
GAIA is a founding member of BFFP, and hosts its organising staff in most regions of the world. In Africa, both global movements are regionally hosted by groundWork, a GAIA founding member based in South Africa. We also have regional staff hosted at member organisations in Ghana, Morocco and Nigeria.
The Administrative Assistant will provide general administrative support to the rest of the Africa team, including but not limited to:
- Database management and support on network development.
- Tracking of grant documentation including support on financial and narrative reporting.
- Coordination of logistics around regional meetings.
- Digital asset management
- General office administration
You are the best candidate for this post because you are:
- Highly organised and efficient: You are organised and disciplined with your time, know how to prioritise and can be depended upon to deliver results in a timely manner.
- Solutions-oriented: You are not easily overwhelmed by setbacks and obstacles, you love thinking on your feet to develop solutions and help your team overcome challenges, and you continually learn and adapt to motivate yourself and your team to win!
- Well-rounded and a team-player: You value the importance of working with team members and partners to accomplish targets and goals.
- Patient and respectful: You value people’s inputs and expertise, and are respectful in dealing with people from all walks of life and from different backgrounds. You respect and recognise expertise and knowledge coming from different members of the community, and value the importance of bringing different perspectives together.
- Trustworthy: You are self-motivated and can be depended upon to deliver targets and goals in a timely manner. You take pride in your ability to honour commitments.
Location, Compensation and Work Environment:
This is a full time project position, and equivalent to 5 days a week. The position is open to all nationalities from the African region but given the nature of the role, this position is to be based out of our regional office in Durban, South Africa.
We offer a competitive salary plus benefits, including a contribution towards health insurance, vacation, maternity/paternity leave, and other similar employment protection. We take pride in our ability to support one another’s work in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, and look forward to introducing the successful candidate to our welcoming and highly motivated team and members.
Equal employment Opportunity:
We are committed to equal employment opportunity principles and to provide all employees with a safe work environment free from discrimination and harassment. We welcome you regardless of your gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, age, physical ability, or any other status unrelated to the performance of the job. Candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups are strongly encouraged to apply for this post, and will be preferred.
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Africa Admin Assistant – (YOUR NAME)”. APPLICATIONS WITH INCOMPLETE DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
Updated resume and cover letter.
2-3 references (IMPORTANT: 2 of your references must be your immediate supervisors or managers, or colleagues who worked closely with you).
Qualified applicants will be screened and shortlisted immediately.
The position is available immediately and applications will remain open until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org