GAIA is a worldwide alliance of more than 800 organizations and individuals in over 90 countries working for justice and a world without waste. We see waste, plastics, and their resulting pollution as a symptom of a larger, profit-driven extractive economy, and we promote Zero Waste as a holistic solution and an economic shift toward justice and sustainability.
As concern over plastic pollution has exploded in recent years, interest in Zero Waste has risen exponentially, and GAIA is now figuring out how to scale up financial support for an ever-increasing demand to implement Zero Waste systems throughout Southeast Asia. Zero Waste also challenges the extractive economy that lies at the heart of our global climate crisis, and as awareness of Zero Waste as a solution to plastic pollution increases, so too will its connections to food justice, renewable energy, and many other climate-related issues become more apparent. This awareness can open more doors for financing the work we must do, such as through green bonds, social investment funds, and other mechanisms for radical change on the scale of the megacity or entire countries.
In response to this crucial moment in the growth of the Zero Waste movement, GAIA is looking for a Climate and Zero Waste Finance Associate to support GAIA and its member organizations build their case for climate impact and access finance to support the rapid scaling of Zero Waste. This is a position with significant growth and professional learning opportunities, as the movement for Zero Waste and awareness of its applications in the climate space are growing.
The successful candidate will have a clear understanding of how finance can be used to expand social and environmental efforts such as climate-focused social enterprise and plastic use reduction efforts, and will be able to bring their experience to bear on a broad array of actors across multiple sectors.
GAIA’s Climate and Zero Waste Finance Associate will:
- Coordinate and support a business planning process for selected GAIA member organizations with the intent of strengthening their long-term financial sustainability
- Gather, analyze, and share findings from other members’ business planning processes so that clear financial models are available for GAIA’s network
- Develop and implement trainings on financial sustainability of Zero Waste at Zero Waste Academies and other events
- Catalog, assess, and facilitate deployment of local financial resources, such as bank loans, microloans, and locally-gifted rotating funds in the Southeast Asia region
- Support GAIA members in accessing public funding for Zero Waste project implementation by helping to communicate the value of Zero Waste to public officials, in coordination with other regional leaders
- Work across sectors to support the growth of public finance such as green bonds that can take Zero Waste to scale
- Support GAIA’s international team in the development and deployment of a Zero Waste Transition Fund
- Assist, when able, GAIA’s anti-incineration campaign to flip financial incentives for waste-to-energy incineration to more sustainable, closed loop systems like Zero Waste
- Help build and share the case for Zero Waste as a climate solution and a necessary response to ocean plastic pollution
- Help to develop GAIA’s climate initiative as Zero Waste becomes a more prominent part of global climate strategies
- At least two years of successful experience in developing business plans for social enterprise, small businesses, and/or NGOs and/or helping these organizations access finance
- At least two years of successful experience in making the climate case for social enterprise or NGO as part of a fundraising, communications, or other externally-facing campaign
- Ability to see and assess emergent opportunities to finance/fund social enterprise
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience coordinating between a diversity of entities across many sectors
- Expertise with spreadsheet and finance applications for analysis and planning
- Commitment to environmental health; climate, social, and environmental justice; and GAIA’s mission and core values
- Strong writing and public speaking skills, with an ability to simplify messages and communicate complex issues to the public
- Excited about working with a global multicultural alliance, which requires extensive online communication with staff and members (primarily via online tools)
- Highly computer literate, and comfortable with new media technologies.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills. Good listener.
LOCATION, COMPENSATION, AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position will be based out of the GAIA Philippines office in Manila, although we are willing to consider applicants with strong qualifications from other locations, preferably in Indonesia or India.
We offer a competitive salary plus benefits, including health insurance, vacation, maternity/paternity leave, and other similar employment protections. We take pride in our ability to support one another’s work in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, and look forward to introducing the successful candidate to our welcoming and highly motivated team and members.
We are seeking candidates who are excited to make an initial commitment of at least two years to this work. Willingness to travel with frequency is required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
GAIA is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, gender non-conforming, and LGBTQ persons to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements, your resume with at least three references, and a sample communication letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Climate and Zero Waste Finance Associate – your NAME.” No calls, please. Please send your application on or before July 10, 2019. Applications will be processed as they arrive.