- This event has passed.
[COP27] Panel: Waste Diversion and Segregation, a huge opportunity for methane mitigation, and a challenge for ambitious public policy and subnational implementation
November 17, 2022 @ 11:00 am - 12:10 pm
Methane emissions continue to rise, globally 18% of total emissions came from organic waste. According to the latest studies, we have a huge methane mitigation opportunity in the waste sector considering a goal of 35% of emissions reduction by 2030. Satellites can track methane emissions from landfills, so claims of low emissions or leaking need to be sustained by measurements and monitoring. During the event, we will discuss the relevance of public policy waste diversion and segregation as an opportunity for the global South methane mitigation an OECD analysis on Food Waste/Loss and Organic Fraction of Municipal Solid Waste public policy will be presented, and we will discuss how national and local governments could work and show good examples on public policies, data information, and environmental justice consideration.
- Rodolfo Lacy – OECD Director for Climate Action and Environment for Latin America – Special Envoy on Climate Matters to the UN. Analysis of Methane Control Policies from Organic Fraction of Municipal Solid Waste.
- Environment and Climate Change, Canada. The experience and new implementation challenge of the “Reciclo Organicos program” in LAC 10 countries.
- Lisa Moon, CEO at the Global Foodbanking Network, Food Banking&Donation relevance
- Christie Keith, International Coordinator and Executive Director of GAIA U.S., environmental justice principles
- Allison Bender, Executive Director at CCAP; Reciclo Organicos experience
- Dakar Mayor, actions that are taking place, and challenges at the subnational level (TBC)
- Carolina Leitao, President of the Chilean Association of Municipalities, actions that are taking place, and challenges at the subnational level
- Carolina Urmeneta, Waste&Circular Economy Program Director, at Global Methane Hub
This event is located within the official conference venue, any person wishing to access the side event area must be duly registered as part of a delegation of a Party or an observer organization and in possession of a conference badge. The link to access the virtual platform for badge-holders will be provided as soon as it becomes available.
With the exception of the press conference and Zero Waste Hub, all events will be livestreamed on the UNFCCC youtube channel, which is accessible to anyone.