GAIA is looking for a dynamic communications professional to fill the Asia Pacific Communications Associate post! As the Communications Associate, you will have the opportunity to tell the world that Zero Waste solutions are happening in cities and communities in the Asia Pacific region. In this role, you will meet Zero Waste heroes, tell their stories or facilitate their storytelling, and co-design communications strategies all leading to a just, Zero Waste world. You will be in a good position to learn from and share your expertise with environment organizations, campaigners, and frontline communities.
Reporting lines: The AP Communications Associate reports to GAIA AP’s Communications Officer, coordinates with and is part of several internal working groups.
Responsibilities: As the AP Communications Associate, you will:
- Co-design and co-implement communications strategies, campaigns, and tools with the AP Communications Officer. This includes producing and distributing online and offline communications materials such as press releases, opinion pieces, articles, letters to the editors, brochures, videos and photo stories, memes, infographics, etc., as well as developing audience-specific messaging for GAIA’s campaigns.
- Provide communications support to members in the Asia Pacific region and the Asia Pacific Communications Group ensuring story amplification and engagement in communications activities.
- Help organize media activities such as press conferences and media fellowships. Manage and update the media database for the region and maintain good working relationships with journalists.
- Contribute to building a strong social media presence via different social media platforms and the GAIA website.
- Collate media coverage, analytics, and metrics information to draft reports, regular updates, and audience-related reports.
- Study the regional media landscape and prepare reports to improve on the effectiveness of the communications strategy.
- Actively participate in GAIA Global Communications, various internal unit meetings, and other partners’ meetings and activities to ensure that AP’s activities and messages are aligned, integrated, and amplified across the Network and in strategies of key alliances.
You are who we are looking for if you have:
- Strong writing and communications skills in English. Other regional languages are a plus.
- At least 2 to 3-year experience in communications work particularly strategy development and implementation; or experience working with media; or a graduate of Journalism and other related courses.
- Familiarity with the Asia Pacific media and social media landscapes.
- Advanced skills in graphic design, video editing, or other new media tools.
- Interest and experience in working for social and environmental justice groups and committed to elevating the voices of the grassroots communities and members to global environmental discourse.
- Knowledge of or familiarity with Zero Waste, plastics, anti-incineration work.
- Experience working with teams from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Has a strong work ethics, a team player, and is eager to learn.
- Solutions-oriented and focused.
- Has a positive attitude, is resilient, and committed to equity and equality, inclusivity and diversity.
- Flexible with working hours including outside regular work hours calls with the global team.
- Willing to travel, as required, allowed, and needed for the job. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, work-related travel is limited.
Location, Compensation, and Work Environment
This is a full-time position, equivalent to 5 days a week, for an initial commitment of 1 year. This position is open to individuals based in the Asia Pacific region, and location is dependent on where the successful candidate resides.
We offer a competitive salary plus benefits, including healthcare package, paid vacation and sick leaves, and other similar employment protections. We take pride in our ability to support one another’s work in an atmosphere of mutual trust, transparency, and respect, and look forward to introducing the successful candidate to our welcoming and highly motivated team and members.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
We are committed to equal employment opportunity principles and to provide all employees with a safe work environment free from discrimination and harassment. We welcome you regardless of your gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, faith, age, physical ability, or any other status unrelated to the performance of the job. People from historically marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “AP COMMS ASSOCIATE – (YOUR NAME)”. APPLICATIONS WITH INCOMPLETE DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
- Updated resume and cover letter with your salary requirements;
- 2-3 references (IMPORTANT: 2 of your references must be your immediate supervisor or manager, or colleagues who worked closely with you in recent programs/projects/campaigns);
- At least 2 writing samples or references/links to programs/projects you led or spearheaded.
No calls, please. The position is open until filled; first round of applications will be reviewed beginning May 1st, but consider applying ASAP. Qualified applicants will be screened and shortlisted immediately.