GAIA is a worldwide alliance of more than 800 organizations and individuals in over 90 countries working for justice and a world without waste. We see waste, plastics, and their resulting pollution as a symptom of a larger, profit-driven extractive economy, and we promote zero waste as a holistic solution and an economic shift toward justice and sustainability.
The GAIA U.S. office is looking for a detail-oriented Bookkeeper & Office Administrator to support the organization with its bookkeeping, administration, office management, events coordination, and special projects.
The Bookkeeper & Office Administrator serves as a logistical resource throughout the organization and will be responsible for day-to-day operations including bookkeeping, HR and administration, assistance to program staff, and ensuring the office operations run smoothly. The position reports to GAIA’s Associate Director and works in close collaboration with U.S. program staff on special projects and events.
This is a full-time position and divided into three main work categories:
- bookkeping support 35%
- office management/administrative support 35%
- special projects/event support 30%
- Perform all aspects of bookkeeping – A/P, A/R, reconciliations, financial reports, payroll, month-end processing and year-end documents in collaboration with Finance Coordinator
- Manage all day-to-day office, facilities, and operational needs, including office equipment, supplies, furniture, IT, internal communications, calendars, emergency preparedness plans, and other office needs
- Support program staff on relevant projects, travel arrangements, events coordination and special meetings. This could include writing and editing projects for the right candidate.
- Maintain and update electronic and paper accounting files
- Assist with and support on contracts, vendor files, and customer accounts
- Assist with annual audit process, human resources, and insurance handling
- Assist with fundraising mailings and donor follow-up
- Participate in other duties as assigned
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years working in non-profit finance or bookkeeping
- Individual must have strong knowledge of accounting principles
- Must be organized and dependable
- Strong general computer and technical skills; ability to work across platforms and to learn new technology quickly
- High level of attention to detail; sensitivity to confidential matters
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with a knack for being responsive to a wide array of incoming inquiries and requests
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills; ability to keep documentation tidy and accessible
- Ability to problem-solve, take initiative, and maintain efficiency in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment
- Ability to coordinate complex projects or multiple simultaneous tasks efficiently and involving multiple personnel across time zones around the world
- Experience working in Quickbooks; and strong skills in MS Office & Google Sheets required
- Experience with WordPress, Salesforce, Constant Contact and other online social media platforms a plus
- Experience and interest in writing and editing a plus
- Passion for social and environmental justice
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should email cover letter, current resume, list of three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line “Bookkeeper & Office Administrator.” Position open until filled; first round of applications will be reviewed beginning January 14th.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
GAIA is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, gender non-conforming, and LGBTQ persons to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.
Location: Berkeley, California