Are you into Zero Waste? GAIA invites nationals residing in Asia Pacific countries to share how they practice Zero Waste by joining our #WaysToZeroWaste social media photo contest! Simply take pictures of the ways you practice Zero Waste and post them on your social media accounts for a chance to win a free trip to Bandung, Indonesia and be part of our International Zero Waste Cities Conference on March 5-9, 2018.
- The contest runs January 1-31, 2018 and is open to nationals residing in Asia Pacific countries (countries from East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, Oceania).
- The contest has two categories: GAIA members and non-members (general public). For this competition, employees of GAIA member organizations shall compete under the members category.
- Entrants may submit as many entries as they want, in any and all of the three social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) but may win only once.
- Entries should depict a Zero Waste lifestyle. A Zero Waste lifestyle is defined as one that promotes sustainable consumption and waste reduction such as refusing disposables, using reusables and environment-friendly options, practicing waste separation at source, composting, and recycling, among others.
- Each entry should be the original work of the entrant. An entrant must be willing to submit the original, hi-res version of their entries when required.
- The photos should be realistic, culturally sensitive, and non-discriminatory.
- The following photos are disqualified: a) Photos that have been enhanced or altered. Alteration means manipulation of the photograph for special effects (colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites). Only minor adjustments such as cropping and using basic filtering tools in the platforms are allowed; b) Photos that violate another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright; c) Photos that have won in other contests, or have been published or submitted for publication (print or online); d) Photos which are immoral, obscene, and/or in violation of public moral and/or proper public conduct.
- Every week, one winner will be chosen for each category. To qualify for the week, entries should be posted within the contest week. Week 1: January 1-10; Week 2: January 11-17; Week 3: January 18-24; Week 4: January 25-31. Time zone is GMT+8.
- Weekly winners will be announced five days after the weekly deadline via GAIA Asia Pacific’s social media accounts.
- There is only one major prize for this competition. Weekly winners from both categories shall be competing for the major prize.
- Ineligibility Clause: GAIA Asia Pacific staff and their relatives up to 2nd degree of affinity and consanguinity are ineligible to join this contest.
- The decision of the board of judges shall be final and may not be appealed.
How to Join the Contest
- Post your entry on your social media account. For Facebook and Twitter, an entry may consist of up to 4 pictures. If posting on Instagram, an entry consists of only one picture.
- Follow and tag our relevant social media account. If posting on FB, follow and tag our FB account (@GAIAAsiaPacific). If on Twitter, our Twitter account (@ZeroWasteAsia); and if on IG, our IG account (@gaia.asiapacific).
- Indicate your category by using the hashtag: #NM for non members and #NameOfYourOrganization for members.
- Caption your entry by sharing what you do to go Zero Waste and why. For FB and Instagram, the caption should be no longer than 150 words. For Twitter, no longer than 280 characters. End your caption with the hashtags: #GoForZeroWaste #WaysToZeroWaste2018.
By submitting an entry, contestants: a) Grant GAIA Asia Pacific and its official representatives an irrevocable, royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use the winning entries in its publications and website and online pages including social media without further compensation, notification or permission (non-winning entries may be re-shared via social media using RT or share button or re-gram/re-post app); b) Guarantee that they own the copyright to their entry/entries; c) (Whose entry shows a recognizable person other than themselves) Guarantee that they have sought permission from that person to use the photograph for the competition; d) (If below 18 years of age) Guarantee that they have sought permission to join the contest from their parents or legal guardian.
- Major Prize Winner: Round trip ticket to Bandung, Indonesia, local travel, food, and accommodation for one, and free attendance to the 2018 International Zero Waste Cities Conference. No additional per diem or allowance will be given. Local travel (to the airport and back, to apply for a visa, etc) in the country of origin must be shouldered by the winner, as well as visa/passport costs.
- Weekly Zero Waste Winners: Zero Waste Kit (metal straw, cutleries, and reusable water bottle)
Criteria for Judging
- Creativity 25%
- Uniqueness of the Zero Waste Way 20%
- Impact of the Zero Waste Way 20%
- Adoptability of the ZW Way 10%
- Technique 20%
- Number of reach, likes and shares 5%
Notification of Winners. Winners will be notified through our official social media accounts.
For clarifications, please read first the attached FAQ. If your question has not been answered, please send us a private message through any of our social media accounts.
Photos courtesy of (leftmost) Consumers Association of Penang, (middle) Rahyang Nusantara, and (rightmost) Theeban Gunasekaran.
(Edited January 21 to reflect changes in the Undertaking section re: GAIA’s use of winning and non-winning entries.)