Our Asia Pacific team is looking for a passionate and committed individual who wants to support the global movement for environmental justice and zero waste.
You believe in the power of grassroots organizing, in strengthening the work of community members from around the world and connecting them to a broader network, and can confidently and efficiently deliver network services to support community organizing.
You excel at personal relations, enjoy communicating with people from different backgrounds and nationalities, and are comfortable in dealing with and resolving challenges inherent in a growing global network.
You enjoy teamwork, like working in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment and are confident in your ability to meet deadlines.
You are capable of running different tasks simultaneously and managing complex projects. You are efficient, organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable in leading processes and managing tools and systems for a growing global alliance.
GAIA is a worldwide alliance of more than 800 organization and individuals in over 90 countries working for justice and a world without waste. At GAIA, we see waste, plastics, and their resulting pollution as a symptoms of a larger, profit-driven extractive economy, and we promote zero waste as a holistic solution and an economic shift toward justice and sustainability.
GAIA’s greatest strength lies in our membership, which includes some of the world’s leading organizations working at the intersection of environmental protection, sustainable development, and human rights. GAIA members strategize together about shared goals and targets, share information online and in regional meetings, campaign toward common goals, lead trainings and skillshares, and provide a community of support for one another. Learn more at www.no-burn.org.
About the position
As a Zero Waste Cities Program Associate, you will work in coordination with member organizations implementing the Zero Waste Cities project in different countries in Asia. You will be part of GAIA’s international coordination team which is composed of staff based in Chile, the Philippines, India, US, UK, South Africa and Belgium. You will work closely with the Zero Waste Program Officer based in Quezon City, Philippines and report directly to the Asia Pacific Regional Coordinator.
Lead coordination with GAIA members involved in the Zero Waste Cities project which aims to build Zero Waste models in cities across the region.
- Track progress reports and project milestones shared by Zero Waste Cities collaborators;
- Support the operation of the Zero Waste Cities platform (an online knowledge-sharing interface for cities and Zero Waste practitioners);
- Facilitate regular project meetings with Zero Waste Cities collaborators.
Organize capacity-building and knowledge-sharing activities for GAIA members, city officials, waste workers and other stakeholders.
- Work with GAIA staff in organizing the Zero Waste Academy, Zero Waste International Conference and other similar Zero Waste events;
- Lead logistical preparations for these activities such as arranging airfare, lodging and local travel; issuing/following up invitations to event participants; preparing conference kits and other related responsibilities.
Support GAIA’s communication team in maintaining the network’s social media pages, website and other communication platforms.
Support the efficient implementation of programs and delivery of network services and other tasks necessary, especially in the Asia Pacific office,
GAIA’s work is highly collaborative, and we are committed to making decisions that involve the input of all impacted people and that are consulted at multiple levels. The Zero Waste Cities Associate will be expected to implement multiple simultaneous processes involving participation of staff and members from different regions, and should be comfortable working in a team that values inclusive decision-making processes.
At the same time, the Zero Waste Cities Associate must be comfortable working independently to execute a project once sufficient consultation has been done, including creative problem solving to overcome obstacles and meet deadlines.
- At least two years organizing or nonprofit experience (this can include internships and non-paid or part-time work)
- Commitment to grassroots-led global social and environmental justice, and interest in a behind-the-scenes role that strengthens the leadership of organizers on the ground.
- Demonstrated success supporting complex projects that may require multiple layers of consultation and tracking, including long-term projects or processes that involve coordination across multiple time zones.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Comfortable with using online programs and platforms; able to quickly learn new digital tools.
- Highly-organized, efficient and independent, with excellent attention to details.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in using social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc).
- Willingness to travel with frequency.
- Experience working with networks and international teams;
- Experience with campaigning on environmental issues, specifically on waste or plastics;
- Experience in project management and knowledge-sharing activities
- Ability to travel.
Location, Compensation and Work Environment
The post is full-time, equivalent to 5 days a week for an initial one year term with opportunity for long term extension. This position will be based in GAIA’s Quezon City, Philippines office.
We offer a competitive salary plus benefits, including health insurance, leaves and other similar employment protection. We take pride in our ability to support one another’s work in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, and look forward to introducing the successful candidate to our welcoming and highly motivated team and members.
New graduates and young professionals with exceptional qualities are welcome to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
GAIA is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, nationality, ethnicity, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. People from historically marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements, your resume with at least 3 references, and a sample communication letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Zero Waste Cities Program Associate – your NAME.” No calls, please. Please send your application on or before 15 August, 2018. Applications will be processed as they arrive; initial interviews may begin 3rd week of August 2018.