GAIA is looking for a passionate and energetic individual who wants to contribute to the global movement for environmental justice and Zero Waste.
You believe in the power of grassroots organizing. You also believe that all roles in an organization play an important part in supporting the organization’s mission, vision and goals.
You shine in providing support to your team to meet common goals and deliverables. You enjoy teamwork, like working in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment and are confident in your ability to meet deadlines.
You enjoy communicating with people from different backgrounds and nationalities and are comfortable in dealing with and resolving challenges inherent in a growing global network.
You are capable of running different tasks simultaneously and managing complex projects, events and activities from start to finish with minimal supervision. You have a strong attention to detail. You take directions well but also work well on your own.
You like working with numbers and are confident in your ability to excellently manage and perform financial transactions and related tasks. You take pride in your ability to safeguard confidential transactions, documents and files.
GAIA is a worldwide alliance of more than 800 organization and individuals in over 90 countries working for justice and a world without waste. At GAIA, we see waste, plastics, and their resulting pollution as a symptoms of a larger, profit-driven extractive economy, and we promote Zero Waste as a holistic solution and an economic shift toward justice and sustainability.
GAIA’s greatest strength lies in our membership, which includes some of the world’s leading organizations working at the intersection of environmental protection, sustainable development, and human rights. GAIA members strategize together about shared goals and targets, share information online and in regional meetings, campaign toward common goals, lead trainings and skillshares, and provide a community of support for one another. Learn more at www.no-burn.org.
About the position
As Finance and Administrative Associate, you will be part of GAIA’s international coordination team which includes staff based in Chile, the Philippines, India, US, UK, South Africa and Belgium. You will work closely with the Asia Pacific Regional Coordinator, Managing Director and Operations Coordinator based in Quezon City, Philippines.
- Perform bookkeeping duties;
- Provide financial transaction support such as maintaining of petty cash, facilitating cash advance and liquidations, and other related tasks;
- Provide logistical support for programs and campaigns such as event organizing, ticket purchasing, liaising with members and partners, preparing notices of meetings and other related tasks;
- Provide administrative support such as but not limited to monitoring of daily time records and leaves, bank runs, filing of benefits (Philhealth, SSS, PAGIBIG and others);
- Perform general office duties such as managing inventory and purchases, office maintenance and management and other related tasks;
- Deliver administrative and logistical support to the Regional Coordinator; and
- Support the efficient implementation of programs and campaigns and other tasks necessary, particularly in the Asia Pacific office.
- At least 1-year experience in providing finance- and admin-related support;
- Knowledgeable in bookkeeping;
- Highly computer literate;
- Good communication and people skills;
- Comfortable with using online programs and platforms; able to quickly learn new digital tools;
- Highly-organized, efficient and independent, with excellent attention to detail; and
- Experience in organizing events and activities (in a leadership or a supporting role).
- At least 1-year experience in nonprofit work (this can include internships and nonpaid or part-time work);
- Experience working with networks and international teams;
- Knowledge of finance management programs such as QuickBooks; and
- Graduate of accountancy-related courses.
Location, Compensation and Work Environment
This is an entry-level, full-time post, equivalent to 5 days a week for an initial one-year term. This position will be based in GAIA’s Quezon City, Philippines office.
We offer a competitive salary plus benefits, including health insurance, leaves and other similar employment protection. We take pride in our ability to support one another’s work in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, and look forward to introducing the successful candidate to our welcoming and highly motivated team and members.
New graduates with exceptional qualities are welcome to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
GAIA is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, nationality, ethnicity, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. People from historically marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements, your resume with at least 3 references, and a sample communication letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Finance and Administrative Associate – (your NAME).” No calls, please. Please send your application on or before August 15, 2018. Applications will be processed as they arrive; initial interviews may begin mid-August 2018.